Main Navigation

Getting extra support

Image of two guys chatting
Photo: Australian Red Cross

It's better to get information and advice earlier, rather than later.

Some people choose to seek informal help from family, friends, colleagues or through their faith. Sometimes, however, this might not be enough.




Think about getting professional help if:

  • your emotions or physical symptoms are too intense or just won’t go away
  • you feel too numb or cut off
  • you have continued nightmares, poor sleep or flashbacks
  • your family, social or work relationships suffer
  • sexual problems develop
  • you experience loss of memory and concentration
  • your performance suffers at school, work or home
  • you have accidents or illness
  • you increase smoking, drinking or drug taking
  • you have no one to talk to about your experience
  • you have lost faith in yourself or the world
  • you have feelings of hopelessness, despair or even suicide.

Maybe you have noticed these things in someone close to you. Remember, it's okay to say something if you're unsure how to help them.

These services are free and confidential:

  • school counsellors or student wellbeing staff
  • your local youth services team (check your local council website)
  • Kids Helpline


  • Stories

    Image of smiling guy.

    How do other people get through the tough times?


  • Kids Helpline

    Image of Kids Helpline logo

    You can find Kids Helpline on the phone and online.


  • headspace

    Image of headspace logo

    As the name suggests, headspace is about what’s happening in your head. They cover a range of topics, including mental health and alcohol and other drug issues.